Note: This is a reproduction of an essay by Mikkel Pade titled “Scientology Auditing – The Pearl Of Scientology”. It focuses on session-type auditing (for example, E-meter auditing). It was published in the July 1977 edition of Up-Date Magazine by Dialogue Center Aarhus.
Table of Contents
- The understanding of man implied in auditing
- Preparations for auditing
- The structure of an auditing-session, early level
- Other therapies during auditing
Auditing 1) is – by the Scientologists – claimed to be the pearl of Dianetics and Scientology.
There is a bit of truth in this because the pearl and auditing has one thing in common: The price.
To reach the first step on the road to total freedom (Life Repair) can easily make you 2.000 – 3.000 dollars poorer, depending on how many hours they think you need. This article is only concerned with auditing at the beginning level.
The understanding of man implied in auditing.
You are a thetan 3). Everybody’s a thetan. All thetans are basically good. All thetans want to do good things, but – through 75 million years the thetans (“through minds and bodies) have been hurt by all kinds of universal diseases and catastrophes – and that is what makes them act and react a bit irrational, now and then.
Through all lifetimes, every thetan has had its own timetrack 4). This time-track is filled with pictures of different events, in which the thetan has been involved and the timetrack has been recorded and accumulated by the two minds that every thetan has got as a kind of computer.
The body 5) is the needed equipment for the thetan and its minds to survive life on this planet.
The two minds are:
- The analytical Mind 6) which is able to record all the pictures that it is able to confront.
- The reactive Mind 6) which is a kind of first aid for the analytic one – it takes all the pictures that the analytic mind is unable to receive (pain, etc.)
The thetan is not aware of the pictures from the reactive mind, they have been recorded during unconsciousness. They will cause trouble when the thetan is reminded of an event, similar to or in some connection with a former one, being recorded in the reactive mind: The reactive mind can be restimulated. For example: Under the construction of the Cheops-pyramid you were smashed by a stone. Last year, when you came to Egypt as a tourist and looked at the pyramid, you got a slight headache. The reactive mind was restimulated.
In short auditing is to pick up episodes from the reactive mind and make them analytic – or rather let them fade away. You have to be aware of the first episode of a kind, then the following episodes of the same kind will disappear from the reactive mind, too.
When the reactive mind is empty, you are clear 7).You’ll be aware that you are a thetan and not your body. Now it is not a question of release from troubles in the past. Now the OT (8) Grades are waiting for you. And with the OT-Grades – the Universe. At OT VI it should be possible to take a trip to Venus or Mars. At this level you should be able to be where you want to be – just by the force of your will. In short, the purpose of the OT-programme is to enable you to do everything – just by the force of your will.
Auditing: “…. The action of asking a preclear 2) a question (which he can understand and answer), getting an answer to that question and acknowledging him for that answer”.
Preclear: (pc): “…. generally a person being audited…”
Thetan: “From THETA (life static), a word taken from the Greek symbol of letter: theta, traditional symbol for thought and spirit. The thetan is the individual himself – not the body or the mind. The thetan is the “I”; one doesn’t have or own a thetan; one is a thetan”.
Time-track: “The endless record complete with 52 perceptions of the pc’s entire past; the consecutive record of mental image pictures which accumulates through the preclear life or lives. It is very exactly dated”.
Body: “The organized physical composition or substance of an animal or man whether living or dead. It can also mean a grouping or gathering, or any whole of anything”.
“The Analytical Mind” and “The Reactive Mind”: “…. The analytical mind would be the conscious aware mind which thinks, observes data, remembers it and resolves problems. It would be essentially the conscious mind as opposed to the unconscious mind. In Dianetics and Scientology the analytical mind is the one which is alert and aware and and the reactive mind simply react without analysis…”
Clear: “A thetan who can be at cause knowingly and at will over mental matter, energy, space and time regards the First Dynamic (survival for self) ….”
OT = Operating Thetan: “A being who can be at cause knowingly and at will over thought, life, form, matter, energy, space and time, subjective and objective”.
NB: For this part of the description I have used:
“What every preclear should know”,
“The Report from the University of Roskilde”,
“L.Ron Hubbard: Dianetics Today”.
Preparations for auditing
Before auditing there are some preparations which can demand both time and trouble:
- You have to go through the “Free Personality Test”/ “Oxford Capacity Analysis” and get the evaluation of this from a Scientologist.
- You have to go through the HAS-Course (The Communication Course). Often, the HQS-Course, which introduces auditing, comes in at this point, but it is not necessary to finish this course before starting the auditing.
- Your family, friends, etc. shall be brought to accept your decision. You are not allowed to start the auditing before family and friends are positive or neutral to what you are doing. If you don’t succeed in this with some of your family or friends, it can be necessary to disconnect with them. If you are under the age of 18, you have to get a permission from your parents.
- When you are physically ill you normally cannot be audited. If you have been treated for mental diseases you have to tell about it. If you have a criminal background, you have to tell about it, too.
- In an interview you are asked about your expectations about auditing. You have to give a lot of information about yourself and your environment in this interview which is the background to state how many hours of auditing you need for a Life Repair.
- You pay the money and sign the contract at the Registrar’s.
- You are told to read “What every preclear should know” and a little dictionary of Scientology-words.
- You decide together with the Director of Processing 9) when and where to start and with whom you will be audited.
- You are informed about the rules of an auditing session:
- You must have slept 7½ hours the night before a session.
- You must not drink alcohol or take any drugs 24 hours before a session.
- You must be in time for the session.
- You have to eat before the session, so that you are not hungry during the session.
- You are advised not to discuss your auditing-case with others.
- You are not allowed to follow any medical or mental treatment in an auditing-period. Occassionally, you are allowed to go to a doctor for some certain treatments.
- You are advised to avoid “troublemakers” in your environment.
- If you want your engagement with auditing kept as a secret for some of your friends, and others, you have to tell the auditor lo).
Normally, the auditing-sessions are lasting 2½ hours per day, but the exact time can differ a bit. The Case-Supervisor 11) is responsible for the auditing-programme which is based on the interview mentioned before, your grade/ level, earlier sessions, etc. All appointments have to be made by the Director of Processing.
In case of breaking the rules for auditing you are sent to Ethics 12). The Ethics Officer will either give you a warning – or dismiss you from auditing for a period. Other penalties are also possible.
The first sessions with your auditor will be used to ex-plain some Scientology-words and -terms, and the background of auditing, etc.
At last you are through all the preparations, and the real auditing-programme may begin.
Director of Processing (D of P): (Processing = Auditing) “… The person who is responsible for having auditors lo) available and preclears to audit, assignment of preclears to auditors, scheduling of preclears and sessions. Also responsible for procurement of auditors”.
Auditor: “A person trained and qualified in applying Dianetics and/or Scientology processes and procedures to individuals for their betterment; called an auditor because auditor means “one who listens”. An auditor is a minister of the Church of Scientology.
Case Supervision: C/S: “The inspection of audition, by a qualified Case Supervisor (using auditor reports, session work-sheets and examiner reports); the ordering of standard actions and remedies to ensure maximum gains (gains=betterment according to the pc) for the preclear. …”.
Ethics:”Rationality toward the highest level of survival for the individual, the future race, the group and mankind. Ethics is reason and the contemplation of the optimum survival. Here the word is used about the section of a Scientology church , that deals with disciplinary matters”
NB: The following material was used in this part of the description:
“Executive Directive, 28th Oct. 1971, ED llo A DK, Kontrakt for auditing/uddannelse”.
“Accept Form”, 1973.
“Information for preclears”, 1972.
“Hubbard Communications Office:
HCO Bulletin of 24 April 1969, issue III: Preclear Assessment Sheet”.
“L. Ron Hubbard: Dianetics Today” (Definitions).
The structure of an auditing-session, early level.
I: Formalities, E-meter-check on the conditions for auditing.
- 1) You arrive in time and the auditor takes you to the room where the session is to take place.
- 2) The auditor (who is placed nearest the exit) asks you to take two cans in your hands and he/she adjusts the E-meter 13) (the two cans are connected to the E-meter).
At this point it is necessary to explain about the primary use of the E-meter. The function of this device is to show if there is any charge 14) associated with the question which has been put to the person (preclear / pc). In case of no charge – relaxed attitude from the person – the needle will float 15) on the middle of the scale. In case of charge at the question, the needle will go straight to either right or left side of the scale.
- 3) The auditor asks you (with the cans in your,hand), if
- – you are hungry
- – you have slept at least 7½ hours
- – you have been drinking alcohol or taken drugs within the last 24 hours
- – the room is OK to be audited in
All the answers will be tested with the E-meter, and only if the answers are positive and you have a floating needle 15) on the E-meter, you are allowed to continue.
E-meter: “Hubbard Electrometer. An electronic instrument for measuring the mental state and change of state in individuals as an aid to precision and speed in auditing.
The Hubbard E-meter is a religious artifact developed for the exclusive use of ordained ministers and technological students who are trained in its use in Church ministrations. It is not intended for and is forbidden by the Church to be used in any medical or physical treatment or the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease. By itself it does nothing and is strictly not to be employed for medical or scientific purposes. Its purpose is to assist the minister to locate in his parishioner areas of travail so that he can assist in the relief of spiritual suffering. The existence and use of the E-meter is sanctioned by law, and the copying of it or attempts by unqualified persons, doctors, scientists, psychologists, or psychiatrists, to obtain or use one are actionable under law in the United States.
To obtain an E-meter one must be a sincerely enrolled student of the Church of Scientology or a fully qualified minister of that church and must undertake as well to become wholly skilled in its purpose and use. No other persons are permitted to have E-meters. The church permits the E-meter to be sold, possessed, or owned only under these conditions”.
Charge: “The stored quantities of energy in the time track; stored energy or stored or recreateable potentials of energy. The electric impulse on the case that activates the meter. Harmful energy or force accumulated and generated in the reactive mind, resulting from the conflicts and unpleasant experiences that a person has had”.
Floating Needle: Symbol F/N: “Free needle. The idle uninfluenced movement of the needle on the E-meter dial without any pattern or reactions in it. …”. …”It moves to the left at the same speed as it moves to the right”…
II: The rudiments.
Before the specific auditing-programme you have to go through the rudiments 16).
The audited person (pc) will be asked if she/he:
- a) – has experienced any gains (“betterment according to the pc”) from the last session
- b) – has an ARC-break 16b)
If the pc has an ARC-break the auditor will run an ARC-break assessment 16c): The auditor will ask if it was a break on:
- a) affinity
- r) reality
- c) communication
- u) understanding
Now the auditor is watching the E-meter. If the needle is reacting mostly on reality, he/she will ask: “Was it a break in reality?” and if the pc confirms this the auditor will ask:
“Was it a break on
- 1) misunderstood reality
- 2) denied reality
Then the pc tells the auditor about the episode which appeared as an ARC break, and the auditor will ask, whether anything has been hidden, suppressed, rushed, denied – or whether the pc should have told the auditor anything she/he didn’t – and whether there is any current problem that will interfere with auditing. The specific auditing-programme is to begin when there is no charge at the actual questions.
Rudiments: “First principles, steps, stages or conditions. The basic actions done at the beginning of a session to set up the pc for the major session action; ARC breaks, withholds and PTP’s“.
- 16 a)
ARC: “A word made from the initial letters of Affinity, Reality and Communication which together equate to understanding. …”
- 16 b)
ARC Break: ARC brk.: “A sudden drop or cutting of one’s affinity, reality or communication with someone or something”
- 16 c)
ARC break assessment: “Reading a prepared auditing list appropriate to the activity to the pc on a meter and doing nothing but locating and then indicating the charge found to the pc”.
- 16 d) Withhold: “An undisclosed harmful (contra-survival) act ….”.
- 16 e) Present Time Problem (PTP): “A specific problem that exists in the physical universe now on which a person has his attention fixed”.
- 16 a)
III: A Specific Auditing-session.
The following consists of the standard formulars of an auditing session. It is an original case, first published in L. Ron Hubbard’s “Dianetics Today” as case No. 10. This shows you the typical course of an auditing session, questions, answers and evaluation. If you do not understand the full meaning of what goes on during this session, you should not worry. You are supposed to be mystified and filled with admiration of the “scientific research” that created this complicated “technology”.
- 17) Assess:”To choose, from a list of statements which item or thing has the longest read and the pc’s interest. The longest read usually will also have the pc’s interest”.
- 18) Routine 3 Revised: R3R: “Designation for the principal process of Standard Dianetics; technique for running engrams” 18a
- 18 a) Engram: “is a mental image picture of an experience containing pain, unconsciousness, and a real or fancied threat to survival. It is a recording in the reactive mind of something which actually happened to an individual in the past and which contained pain and unconsciousness, both of which are recorded in the mental image picture called an engram. ….”
- 19) Chain: “A series of incidents of similar nature or similar subject matter”.
- 20) Erasure: “The action of erasing, (rubbing out) locks, secondaries or engrams“.
- 20 a) Locks: “A mental image picture of an incident where one was knowingly or unknowingly reminded of a secondary or engram. It does not contain unconsciousness. It may contain a feeling of pain or illness, etc., but is not itself the source of it. A lock is a mental image picture of a nonpainful but disturbing experience the person has experienced and which depends for its farce on an earlier secondary and engram which the experience has restimulated”.
- 20 b) Secondary: “A secondary is a mental image picture of a moment of severe and shocking loss or threat of loss which contains misemotion such as anger, fear, grief, apathy or “deathfulness”. It is a mental image picture recording of a time of severe mental stress. It may contain unconsciousness”.
- 20 c) Incident: “The recording of an experience, simple or complex, related by the same subject, location or people understood to take place in a short or finite time period such as minutes or hours or days”.
- 21) GI’s = Good Indicators: “Those observable indications that all is going well for a preclear. The pc is bright, happy, and winning. Pc smiling and happy”. (VGI’s= Very Good Indicators)
- 22) Folder: “A folder sheet of cardboard which encloses all the session reports and other items….”.
- 23) Tone arm: TA: “Meter control lever on the E-meter”.
- 24) Cognition: “A pc origination indicating he has “come to realize”. Its a “What do you know? I … ” statement. A new realization of life. It results in a higher degree of awareness and consequently ability to succeed with one’s endeavours in life”.
- 25) Blow: Te release charge from; to erase or disappear. Also to depart without authorization from an area; such a departure”.
- 26) Key in: “The action of recording a lock on a secondary or engram; the moment an earlier upset or earlier incident has been restimulated”.
- 27) Examiner: Preclear examiner: “The person in a Scientology church to whom preclears are sent immediately after any auditing session. The examiner says nothing to the preclear in this situation, nothing only what the pc’s tone arm position and state of the needle are on the E-meter and recording what the pc says if anything. The examiner is also the person a preclear sees if he wishes to make any sort of statement regarding his case, or if there is something he wants handled regarding his case”.
- 28) Comm lag (Communication Lag): “The length of time between the asking of the question by the auditor and the answering of that exact question by the pc”.
IV: The end of the session.
When the time of the session is running out, the auditor finishes the last question and then an examiner (who must not be the same as the auditor) will be checking the per-son (pc) on an E-meter to be sure floating needle (F/N). After that of Processing make a new date for that the person has a the pc and the Director a session.
(see EXAMINER’S FORM and SUMMARY REPORT from Case no. 10).
NB: Materials being used in “The structure of an auditing session, early level:
“An auditor’s notice-book”
“L. Ron Hubbard: Dianetics Today”.
(chapter 4: “Rudiments and havingness”).
(“Case No. 10: Personally C/SED sessions”)
Other therapies during auditing.
For the last part of the description I will mention some other therapies in auditing:
Touch Assist 29)
The Touch Assist is very simple. The E-meter is not used in this assist. The auditor’s command is “feel my finger” while she/he touches on different parts of the pc’s body. The pc is free to talk but is not forced. The purpose for Touch Assist is to find out if a disease (headache, etc.) is mentally based or physically based (If the disease doesn’t disappear after some assists, the disease is physically based). In that case, you have to go to a doctor and be healed before starting the auditing aging.
Contact Assist 30)
In this assist the auditor and the pc is in a larger room. The E-meter is not used in this assist. The commands are: “Look around and find something”. “Walk over to it”. “With your hands, hold it still”. Like the Touch Assist, the Contact Assist is supposed to have healing aspects.
Writing overts means that you write down all the bad things you have done to a person. You write overts about only one person at a time, and you are not allowed to write explanations (motivators) why you did the overt. Neither are you allowed to write what the person has done to you. You write the overts in 2 copies: One for your folder, and one for the Ethics. Writing overts is mostly used if you have a current problem, which you cannot be audited through (ex. if you often have disagreements with some of your friends, etc. Writing overts about the friends should ease the possibilities to”handle” them because your aggressions against them will be disappearing.
When you finish auditing at your level, you have to write a “success-story”, before you are allowed to go. If you want your money back within a period of 3 months after stopping the auditing, it is possible, but much pressure of different kinds will be used to make you change your mind. If you are stubborn enough, you can get them, but you are looked upon as a treator and the Scientologist’s last words for you will be: “FIND OUT WHO YOU REALLY ARE ..”. That is the formula for those who in the Scientology files are declared “Enemies”. How do we have to interpret this statement?
Touch Assist: “An assist that brings the person’s attention to injured or affected body areas. When attention is withdrawn from them, so is circulation, nerve flows and energy, which for one thing limits nutrition to the area, and for another limits the drainage of waste products. Some ancient healers attributed remarkable flows and qualities to the “laying on of hands”. Probably the workable element in this was simply heightening of the affected area and restoring the physical communication factors”.
Contact Assist: “A process which can be self-administered in which an injured body part is brought into contact with whatever caused the injury in as nearly as possible the same position and circumstances as it originally occurred (excepting only unheating hot objects, or turning off electricity, etc.)”.
Overts: “Overt act; an overt is an aggressive or destructive act by the individual against one or more of the eight dynamics (self, family, group, mankind, animals or plants, mest 31 a),life of the infinite)”.
- 31 a) Mest Word coined from the initial letters of Matter, Energy, Space and Time; the physical universe and its component parts; also used as an adjective in the same sense to mean physical, as in “MEST universe,” meaning physical universe.
Used material: “HCO Bulletin 7th April 1972”
“HCO Bulletin 23rd July 1971″
L. R. Hubbard:”Dianetics Today”, p. 411-413.
“HCO Ethics Orders”.
L. Ron Hubbard: “Self Analysis”.
(containing many examples of commands to enter your past).
L. Ron Hubbard: “Have you lived before this Life?”
(Auditing-sessions about “past lives”).